Wednesday, February 27, 2013

No Vacancy


I know today is not Monday, and therefore not blog posting day, but today I was inspired to write. Why you may ask? Cause today someone was not all that nice to me. What made this more interesting? This person did not really know me at all.

Now all of us, at one point or another, have had our feelings hurt by someone. Whether it be through an argument, a work or relationship conflict, or a bully, it all just plain stinks. Sometimes we solve it with discussion, other times with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Usually, given a day or two, we move past the things that hurt us, and maybe given a month or many, we move past the people who do too.

Today, a person said something hurtful about me. Not about my character necessarily, or my integrity, but about their opinions of my life, my dreams, my perspective. Usually, my philosophy for mean people is this….

Some people are just mean. And you know the best way to handle it? Pray for them…and enjoy a glass of wine (Oreos also work very well, and now they make wine ice cream, whouda thunk?)

A great philosophy I think, but sometimes the wine and prayer doesn’t necessarily relieve our feelings of hurt over something. So when that is the case, let me remind you:


(Princess Diaries represent!)

When we allow the stinging words of others to make us feel hurt, we are allowing that person space in our minds, or hearts.  When we dwell on those things, we are merely taking our own valuable time and dedicating it to the person that hurt us. That is like going shopping and bringing that “friend” who will merely tell you that every outfit you choose “is just not for you.” Um hello? Buzzkill much. Don’t rent that space out in your heart to hurt, instead rent it out to shoes, chocolate, a good book, or some really solid girl time. For mean people you have No Vacancy. 

And what’s more, especially don’t rent that space out to people who don’t truly know you. What mere strangers say about you should not be worth an ounce of your time, unless it is Ryan Gosling. In which case listen up! 

Happy Wednesday, and may you celebrate the evening with chocolate! XOXO 

No comments:

Post a Comment