Sunday, April 7, 2013

Utah


For the first time in what feels like a millennium I went on a sort of vacation this past week to Utah. Of course you’re thinking, “My how I would love to see photos of that!” Yeah well me too. It wasn’t until I was half naked in front of the TSA I remembered I forgot my camera to which I replied, to myself, out loud, “I FORGOT!” At that point the TSA thought I forgot to mention I was secretly hording some illegal cargo, and they took no short cuts to make sure this wasn’t so. Therefore, the photos at the end of this blog are literally the only poor quality camera phone photos I have (and for those of you wondering, I don’t have an iPhone).

Anywho… I went out to Utah because I was recently offered a middle school teaching position for the next school year. They gave me an opportunity to tour the school, see my potential classroom, and explore the surrounding area (and by this I mean eat In and Out while driving through the biggest mountain I have ever seen in a rental car that was significantly nicer than any I had ever driven, skill challenge accepted!) It was 75 degrees in the valley, and I was surrounded by snowcapped mountains. Needless to say, three days was not enough time, I didn’t even get to go shopping! (This is where my boyfriend mumbles “First World Problems.” True.)

So after my visit, I hopped on board a plane to return to the Mitten having been offered my dream job, months before I had expected, that would be a wonderful introductory opportunity, at a great district. The challenge? It’s only about 1,563 miles from home.

1,563 miles from my family.
1,563 miles from my friends.
1,563 miles away from my last season of competing in MAO in Michigan.
1,563 miles from my hot yoga studio.
1,563 miles from the Great Lakes.

Normally, making this kind of decision would drive me crazy. And by crazy I mean Oreo’s stock would jump 10% in one day. But I actually found I had an eerie sense of calm about the whole thing. The visit went amazingly well. I found a wonderful apartment. Peaches is on board, and Chefonda will be gone before I know it. I have about 200 8th graders who will love my Periodic Table of Peeps. AND maybe I will learn how to ski finally. Also, as if it weren’t the ultimate sign, IKEA is .3 miles from my new apartment. THAT CLOSE.

When I think of all the decisions I have been coerced into making lately, and all the decisions I have second guessed, it is incredibly relieving to feel like the biggest decision yet, is the best one I have made.

That being said, there are many Michigan-only things I will miss, one of them being my Michigan MAO family. I had expected to compete next year for my final season of eligibility. In fact, I had already sent in applications for pageants. Even though I won’t be in the Mitten come August, I will most certainly still be involved, that I can promise. Yall will probably get very sick of me commenting on every one of your photos online….be warned. And I will surely dabble in some Miss Utah locals. My evening gown will seem brand new out West! For those of us all registered to do the Color Run in GR together….I will find a way to be there, it is my last hoorah with all you girls :) 

So this is my official announcement of trading in the Great Lakes for the Great Salt Lake. If I did not call you and tell you personally, or text you it is only because my brain is so overwrought with the current size of my to do list it has taken a leave of absence. Look at it this way, if you ever want to take a skiing, hiking, mountain biking, or National Park vacation, I can be your tour guide (Also, there is a supercute outdoor mall in downtown Salt Lake….)

I had begun to think that every adult decision I make was going to be really frustrating, especially in terms of deciding what school district to work at in the fall. Thankfully, I realized some decisions are easier than others. Don’t get discouraged, ask the people you love and trust for advice, and when you make a decision don’t think you’re alone. There are always people to support you. 


En route to Utah! 


See, this is the quality we're working with on the photos. 


Confidently navigating Utah's really complex road system....


Everyone in In and Out stared at Matt. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment