Monday, July 29, 2013

Cross Country Move Day One: Cornfields


24 hours ago I wasn’t exactly sure how I was going to make it through today, mentally/emotionally/physically. Here we are, 24 hours later, safely reporting from Omaha, Nebraska- the corn state (not sure if this is true but it should be because let me tell you, there is some CORN here).

4 pitstops.
5 states.
10 hours of driving.
635 miles.

And we have arrived in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. So far the driving has included a few milestones:

Leaving Michigan.



The Chicago skyline from afar.

World’s largest American flag.



Many a construction barrel.


Crossing the mighty Mississippi.


And corn.

So. Much. Corn.

I have yet to realize that I’m not returning to Michigan this time. It’s not like visiting before to set up accounts, or lease my place, or tour my school. This is the final time/real deal. I even was saving quarters for the “toll on the way home” when Matt politely reminded me we were headed to a new home (and thus didn’t need toll for Illinois). Don’t get me wrong, I’m WAY excited- new job, new city, new place, new experiences. BUT as is always true, so many new things are a lot to deal with at once.

I find the best way to deal with this is to take it in a little at a time. So today I made it to Nebraska. Matt, myself, and Peaches are all in one piece and for tonight that is alright. Now we eat pizza, watch ESPN, and for a moment I forget I’m in one giant cornfield. I promise tomorrow to have significantly more insight or intellectual thought!

XOXO Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment